First SD sunset after Peru

First SD sunset after Peru
In my month in Peru, through all the experiences I had, through all the people I've met, through all the moments of infinite possibilities during my trip, I miraculously found clarity. And in that state of mind, I found myself radically transformed. All we really need in this world is love, honesty, and courage and we can conquer anything.

Monday, August 4, 2008

The craziness never ends!

Back on the Amtrak - refreshed and re-energized


It's official: cc made it back to the states alive, barely.

I was a traveling public transportation fiend the last 30 hours of my time in Peru:
Bus - Huaraz to Lima, 9 hours
Taxi - bus station to airport, 30 minutes
Plane - Lima to Miami, 5.5 hours
Foot - US Customs, 2.5 hours
Plane - Miami to LA, 5 hours
Bus - LAX to Union Station, 45 minutes
Amtrak - Union station to Santa Ana, 1 hour
Car (hitchhiked) - Santa Ana to Anaheim Mariott hotel, 20 minutes

Whew! And yes, hitchhiked. After 1 month of traveling in Peru and never getting lost or getting into compromising situations, it had to come to the first day when I set foot back on US soil. lol. In my exhausted stupor, I got the wrong directions to my dad's hotel in anaheim and got off at the seedy Santa Ana station accidentally. Lucky for me, the one person I asked for help saved me from a night of catastrophe. Andrew was his name. He happened to live 1 block from the station, let me use his internet, and actually drove me 20 minutes to the Mariott. I couldn't have been more thankful of his kindness and generosity and for the fact that he wasn't a serial killer or kidnapper.

Culture shock is the motto of the week. I can't believe I can take unlimited hot water showers, have flushing toilets, soap, shampoo, AND conditioner, clean clothes that don't smell mildewy, not needing to avoid dog crap on sidewalks, needing to call a cab (by phone), and above all, actually understanding what the hell people are saying! And now, I'm finally heading home to San Diego. I need a vacation from this vacation.

With this sight, I knew I was definitely back in the US of A.

2 comments:

npo said...

you write pretty well, lady

BlueBaron said...

This is really impressive work. What a trip.