First SD sunset after Peru

First SD sunset after Peru
In my month in Peru, through all the experiences I had, through all the people I've met, through all the moments of infinite possibilities during my trip, I miraculously found clarity. And in that state of mind, I found myself radically transformed. All we really need in this world is love, honesty, and courage and we can conquer anything.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A Dunkin Donuts, a Starbucks, and a Batman movie later, I´m ready to rough it again!

IMO, one day in Lima is all anyone needs. I had my fix of western society, participating in all the evils of the corporate world in one day. heh. I must admit, I had the guilty pleasure of enjoying my DD donut, SB mocha, and all that the cinema had to offer (and screw holidays for price inflation). It was like getting a fix after coming out of a month long rehab. Simply sinful!

I spent the morning in Lima hunting for a bus ticket to Huaraz - normally an easy feat, but Independence day(s) in Peru made it quite challenging (2 day holiday - what gives?). First, most tickets were sold out, and second all the businesses were closed. Thanks to one helpful hotel concierge guy, he helped me find one bus station that still had a ticket. I ended up catching a cab halfway across town to central Lima, to some little office ticket, in a seedy part of town (why are bus stations always in sketchy areas?), and put down 35 sol ($12) to travel 400km. Luck must have been on my side again because not 3 days prior, tickets were selling for 50 DOLLARS - not bad I say. Thank you spirits again!

I spent a good part of my day walking from Barranco (the artisan district in Lima) to Miraflores (a bustling, happening, hip part of town where I stayed at). I meandered along the upper cliffs overlooking the ocean, making the walk incredibly pleasant, scenic, and relaxing...and on top of it, the weather was gorgeous. On my hunt for lunch, I ended up bumping into a german girl who stayed at my hostel and sat down with her. Not moments later, a random german girl joined us bc there were no other free tables. Opportunities just keep falling in place for me on this trip, and just as I was wondering how I was going to spend an entire afternoon in Lima! And it´s rather odd that I keep hanging out with germans! We all walked to the cliffs, hung out, then hibernated inside for 3 hours for the movie. (FYI, it´s one of the best batman movies I´ve seen in a while! Going for Heath Ledger was worth the $$ itself! w00t w00t!)

I then took my first overnight bus ever to Huaraz - with no incidences other than sleep dep, most likely from 9 hours of oxygen shortage and cramped spaces. Arrived in Huaraz just as the sun rose above the horizon. Sunrises are becoming my favorite time of the day - and certainly extra special when I see them from staying up all night! Reminds me of BM, my favorite holiday week.


Lima smog cover.

Houses in Barranco

Man reading


No comments: