First SD sunset after Peru

First SD sunset after Peru
In my month in Peru, through all the experiences I had, through all the people I've met, through all the moments of infinite possibilities during my trip, I miraculously found clarity. And in that state of mind, I found myself radically transformed. All we really need in this world is love, honesty, and courage and we can conquer anything.

Friday, July 25, 2008

Salkantay Trek



The great Salkantay 

Sunrise at Machu Picchu. Simply beautiful.

The best birthday present ever

# Days: 5
Forms of transportation used: 4 (bus, back of truck, train, feet)
Distance trekked: 70km
# blisters: 0
# purple toes: 2
# passes crossed: 2
# hot showers: 1
Highest elevation reached: 4600 meters
Spectacular views: priceless

We got back from our Machu Picchu backpacking trek late last night for a total of 5 days and 4 nights. It was by far one of the most gorgeous, scenic, and varied terrain treks I´ve ever been on, and the fact that it ended in Machu Picchu, on my birthday, was incredible. We started at 4:30am taking a 1.5 hour bus ride to a nearby town called Mollepata, traveling through a gorgeous valley, with a view of the snow covered Salkantay peak the entire way. We were a group of 8 in total for the entire trek. Next up, we were all put on the back of a farm truck, and herded like pigs up a mountain on a dirt road. Once at the trailhead, we loaded up all our packs and started the trek. Of the 8 in our group, only me, Simon, and a German named Jans had full packs (well, two thirds loaded up for me at 25 lbs). The rest hired porters (which was also and extra $40). The tour group was relatively organized...they cooked hot meals for us twice a day and set up our tents. I have certainly never felt so pampered on a backpacking trip...and felt a bit guilty that someone else was feeding me and providing shelter. Can´t complain, I suppose. But I definitely want to avoid the group backpacking trips in the future for there´s something about being completely self sufficient in cooking and choosing your own campsite, campmates, and adventure.

But I digress, the entire trek was full of spectacular views, especially of the great Salkantay mountain. We passed by snow peaked mountains, hiked across beautiful mountain plains, then switched altogether through the high jungles of the Andes, then through valleys, following riverbeds (which of course were mosquito laden...still recovering from some gnarly bites), up more mountains, down more mountains, and through little moutain towns and farmlands. It was all very spiritual with all the specatular views. And of course, with a grand finale at Machu Picchu...which so happened to fall on my birthday!

Machu Picchu was incredible, and you´ll just have to see the pictures when I post them. I was stunned at how the city could be built on such a steep mountain side. During my day in MP, I also hiked up a neighboring mountain called Waynapicchu, which was 500 meters above Machu Picchu, so yes, I got an amazing view of Machu Picchu from afar. The whole affair getting onto the trailhead was a feat in itself. They limited it to 400 people a day, and unfortunately when I got there, the capacity was already met. But I think the spirits were on my side that day because I waited for an hour, hoping that some miracle would happen (either by bribe, or pulling the it´s-my-birthday line)....I waited, and a miracle did happen. The gateman took pity on us or something and let us in! And it was surely awesome! For one, we could escape the countless tourists (man o man, were there a lot of annoying tourists!) and second, the view at the top was even more stunning than being in Machu Picchu itself. We were one of the first in the second group to go in...and were so excited to get in that practically we ran up the trail. It took us 30 minutes (which takes normal people 1 hour)...meaning we got the peak to ourselves for half an hour. the trail itself was up and down scary steep incan stone steps, with bold dropoffs just inches from the steps. We opted to take the trail less traveled.

All in all, the best birthday present ever!

Yesterday was spent in complete relaxation, sleeping in, eating copious amounts of food, showering luxuriously. We´re off to Pisac tonight and from there who knows!

No comments: