First SD sunset after Peru

First SD sunset after Peru
In my month in Peru, through all the experiences I had, through all the people I've met, through all the moments of infinite possibilities during my trip, I miraculously found clarity. And in that state of mind, I found myself radically transformed. All we really need in this world is love, honesty, and courage and we can conquer anything.

Friday, July 18, 2008

Phase Dos

We managed to make it to the next part of the adventure - Cuzco, the ancient Incan city in the high Andes. It´s a dramatic change from the past 2 weeks in the amazon. I pulled out my winter clothing for the first time and am so relieved that I brought poofy, my big down jacket. It´s a trip thinking that just yesterday we took a local river boat taxi near the amazon river, up to a nearby island to check out a kind of peruvian ¨zoo¨. I was glad to make it out of there without getting anything stolen from monkies (yes, they were running around freely and if yoúre not watching, they´ll snatch anything from your hands or in your pockets and run up the tress). We´ve managed to make it around ¨local style¨, walking through the little towns, and learning not to take the first taxi that approaches you since they´ll most likely charge you 5 times more than you need to pay. I´m simply amazed at just how dire conditions that most people in the jungle live in. Their houses are typically four slabs of wood (and concrete if you´re fancy) with roofs made of thatching from dried leaves of some sort. Most people hang out on the square most nights because they can´t afford indoor entertainment like television, which we all take for granted.

But I´m happy to be in a new place that doesn´t kill my lungs from all the soot and motorcar pollution. I can finally breathe and the mountain air is oh so refreshing.

Aboard a collectivo on Rio Nanay





At Pilpintuwasi

A blue morpho pupa

The beautiful blue morpho,
largest butterfly in the world


Watch out for little Tony - 
he'll snatch everything out of your pockets!






No comments: